How To: DIY Step Hem Jeans with 7 For All Mankind

How To: DIY Step Hem Jeans with 7 For All Mankind

_u6a0375I have to admit, I get a little scissor happy sometimes. It normally happens after I try on a bunch of jeans and realize that the hem is not the length it should be, my outfit doesn’t match the cut of the jeans, or maybe the jeans just need a slight makeover. At first I started to just slash holes and rips on my jeans to get that extremely worn in feel, but as distressed hems started to get more and more popular I took to my own jeans and started cutting uneven hemlines and fraying it to perfection (or imperfect perfection if you will). I got so many compliments on my DIY jeans and questions as to where to purchase them that I thought it would be fun to share with you guys how you can also do it.
I’m excited for this particular DIY because I’ve collaborated with 7 For All Mankind to show you how you can easily DIY a pair of their jeans. While 7FAM has a really cute step hem cut (shown in my last post “Ruffles In The City” here), I’ve really enjoyed using their normal cut jeans (preferably the already somewhat ripped ones (like these here) to create my own personalized step hem on them. It just shows so much more personal style. I had fun putting this post/video together wearing their pieces. I’ve added pics and a few simple and easy instructions on how to DIY these 7 For All Mankind jeans shown below. There’s also a video version on my Youtube channel for those of you who are more visual. Don’t forget to subscribe to my channel if you like what you see. Hope you like it!

7 For All Mankind DIY Step Hem Jeans Tutorial
You will need:

• Measuring Tape
  • Scissors
  • Chalk
  • Jeans

_u6a0117 Step 1: Measure the pants with your measuring tape. I usually like to try my jeans on and measure while jeans are still on. Personally, I think it’s more accurate for me this way.
_u6a0128
Step 2: Use the Chalk to make a mark of where you will be cutting, remember to make sure the front hem is about two inches shorter than the back hem (or more depending on how you want it to look) Don’t worry the chalk easily rubs off!
Step 3: Cut straight along the chalk line. Make sure you have some very sharp scissors!
_u6a0141_u6a0138Step 4: Once your hems are cut how you want them, use your scissors (or a razor) to carefully fray the bottom of the jeans. Keep in mind that the frayed part will just get better with every wash and wear! If white strings fall down just cut them off (or not..whatever you like!).
*** If this is your first-time customizing a pair of jeans, I recommend practicing on an older pair first!
_u6a0315_3
Hope you liked this DIY video and post! Have fun and let me know how it goes !
xx F
Jeans and denim shirt by 7 For All Mankind. Video by Audrey Alba Films

Sign up with your email address to receive news and updates.

17 Comments

1. Candace on January 19, 2017 at 10:59 am

You’ve just encouraged me to DIY some just like you’ve done, rather than trying to buy some. Yours look so nicely done!

2. Mariann yip on January 19, 2017 at 12:22 pm

I should definitely try this because I am petite and it’s so difficult to find jeans that fit me with the hem style. Thanks for showing me how to do it!

3. Thomas Falkenstedt on January 19, 2017 at 2:14 pm

I want to get into DIY a lot more than I do and I think starting with jeans would be a safe choice within my comfort zone, so thanks for all the tips for a newbie like me! 🙂
    xoxo
    Thomas

4. Deddeh Howard on January 19, 2017 at 3:53 pm

I have been wanting to do this for a long time!. Thanks so much for sharing. I’m about to do this with my pants now lol

5. Jo on January 19, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Your video is so awesome, babe! I’ve been thinking of buying a pair of step hem jeans, but I think now I’m just going to d.i.y. them myself! Thanks for the groovy inspo 😉
    xo, Jo

6. Adi on January 19, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Very clever! Thanks for sharing!
    Adi xx
    fancycorrectitude.com
    instagram.com/fancycorrectitude

7. Stephanie on January 19, 2017 at 9:20 pm

Can we just take a minute to appreciate that fantastic video?! I’m legit obsessed with the entire thing, so I’ll probably end up watching it a million times over for inspiration. You did such a great job DIYing your jeans! So cute!
    Stephanie // SheSawStyle.com

8. Jordan Chapman on January 19, 2017 at 11:12 pm

This is such a cute video!! I’ve got a pair of jeans from Acne that I’m looking to DIY so they won’t just sit in my closet and this may be the solution!!
    Jordan xx

9. Josie on January 20, 2017 at 8:19 am

Loved this little video! well done darling!
    I have done a similar DIY on an old pair of jeans I did not want to let go! it’s such a great way to re-use a beloved piece
    Bisous, Josie

10. Cindy Elena on January 20, 2017 at 2:36 pm

Yeees!! So lovely I’ve been wanting to do this, but I’m still kinda scared I might fuck it up lol.
    xo | Cindy

• Francesca Felix on February 17, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Ha ! Yea you have to start with an old worn out pair. I feel that messing it up makes it even better sometimes though!.

11. Christine Kong on January 20, 2017 at 4:30 pm

I love taking scissors to my own jeans too! Wow, I am blown away by your video! Girl, you have mad skills and need to make more videos! This was beautiful! I love the easy tutorial and the photos. Amazing job and great pair of jeans! xoxo, Christine

• Francesca Felix on February 17, 2017 at 6:38 pm

Thank you! I really do want to do more videos! Glad you liked it.

12. Samantha Mariko on January 21, 2017 at 1:47 am

This is such a fun and easy way to hem a pair of jeans!! Thanks for sharing this through photos and a video, so helpful 🙂

13. camille on January 28, 2017 at 5:08 pm

I wish I had this post when I attempted to DIY mine (and FAILED)!!! You executed it perfectly, I’ll have to try again haha

14. Miki on February 20, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Love your tutorial! I’ve been seriously considering cutting my own denim. You make it look so easy, too! 🙂 I DIY’d mine a different way recently. Can’t wait to style them and wear them on the blog. I am loving all your blog posts Francesca.
    Xo,
    Miki

• Francesca Felix on February 20, 2017 at 6:49 pm

Thanks girl! I’m so happy you liked the tutorial !